Thursday, August 4, 2011

wings (the tv show. mccartney is later)

Just watched my nightly Wings episode.

The show really isn't funny. I think it is because I'm such a crazy nostalgist. It's not nostalgia for Wings itself (I never once watched it while it was on). It's nostalgia for the era. I suppose everyone gets a little like this when they come across something that reminds them of 20 years earlier. There's something about the past, no matter when the past was, that's simpler and more comfortable than the present. No doubt some thirtysomething watched Wings in the '90s and was aching for the comfort of Happy Days.

Comedies are funnier now, but who knows how dated this 21st century awkward humor will be 20 years from now. Will our kids think The Office is lame? They probably will. They'll be like "Why is that guy's unawareness supposed to make me laugh? All it is is misinformation. There's actually nothing inherently funny about that."

Maybe that's why I'm on a nostalgia kick. Today's comedy sure is funnier, but more heartless. Wings is just about the last old school sitcom before society got entrenched in the mire of '90s numbness and irony.

Have a heart people. Let's bring it back.

3 comments:

  1. I totally watched Wings in my younger years! Funny I was just thinking about that show the other day...what channel are you watching this on??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too watched wings. I haven't seen it in years but I used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wings isn't on tv that i'm aware of, but most of it is streaming on netflix. that's how i watch it. netflix is the only channel i get in my room.

    ReplyDelete