Sunday, August 7, 2011

sing this one aloud

Not sure what to say.

I almost said this last night. I re-watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It was probably more enjoyable a second time.

What I really appreciated was the misdirection of it all. It presented a villain that we instantly recognize as the hero. The fact that (watch it before you finish reading this sentence -- it's on Netflix) everything actually winds up as it should according to the protagonist's goals is actually the biggest pull of the rug ever.

It's actually too bad that misdirection has become such a need in today's storytelling. I wonder if we can go back. There used to be good stories full of character and heroism. Now stories are either predictable or not.

There is a unique beauty that comes out of the tragedy of Dr. Horrible that's rarely seen and it must be exceptionally hard to pull off. I probably shouldn't talk about it any more. All I'll say is (and people may disagree) the last frame of the film is very effective especially when the preceding 40 minutes is so filled with whimsy.

Craaaap. I was gonna say something else. Crap. Well at least I'm running out of stuff to say. I've been sick of hearing myself type lately.

Oh wait! Maybe it was something about villainy. I like understanding it. There is a very small percentage of people who consider themselves evil, but rest assured, there is plenty of evil in the world. I may be evil. I'm not, but no doubt somebody perceives me to be. No question, Dr. Horrible is an evil person or at least thinks he is, or at least isn't but becomes so. It's not right, but understandable. You'll have to just see it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment