Wednesday, August 10, 2011

beyonce, jay-z, mom, dad

Are Beyonce and Jay-Z still together?

I think I heard like a month ago that they were splitting up. Lots of people are sad, I'm sure. I'm not. I get a schadenfreude-istic bit of satisfaction when couples split up. I don't want to be a part of a couple so much as I want everybody else to be alone with me.

Beyonce and Jay-Z is another story altogether though. Their romance never seemed too romantic to me. It actually seemed too obvious and predictable to have any sort of meaningful love story attached to it. It's like they were hip-hop royalty -- prom king and queen of the pop charts. Of course they would get together. It's almost like an arranged marriage. Jay-Z is the mastermind of the entire hip-hop world while Beyonce is the most talented, most beautiful asset to that world. It's a match already made in heaven. Boring.

Matches made in heaven aren't good love stories -- at least not the love stories I'm familiar with. I find it very strange that we still have these ideal versions of romance that involve riches and luxury built-in. Girls may dream of a rich, good-looking prince to sweep her away immediately. Guys hope for a supermodel who is inexplicably devoted to them. We still think this way even after romantic movies have taught us otherwise. All romantic movies actually move away from the match made in heaven. They really teach us that romance isn't in the riches, but in the character (well, they TRY to teach us that anyway -- most are pretty lame at it). It's often not the rich businessman or the established model that the protagonist usually falls for. Usually it's the nerdy best friend.

Apparently Jay-Z and Beyonce got together before any sort of nerdy best friend could win one of them over. It's easy to understand why nobody stepped up. Who in real life could get in the way of such a romance? Apparently it was never meant to be (but then again neither were Beyonce and Jay-Z).

So they really did break up right? I'm not just making stuff up?

Mom said she felt depressed again today. She got pretty clinical a couple of years ago and it was just about the scariest thing ever. I'm especially lousy at cheering her up. I try to be logical about it because I know her (she's a lot like me). It's not just that she feels bad. It's that she feels sad about feeling bad because she doesn't deserve to feel sad. After that she feels bad that she feels sad about the bad feeling of being sad -- and so on. People who have the blessings we have don't deserve to feel sad. That's ungrateful. At least I feel that's the reasoning. So my advice to her is just that sometimes we're sad -- and that's okay. We both agreed it must be in our genes. Feeling bad is inevitable -- so we may as well not bring guilt into it as well. It's easier said than done to stop it there.

Mom was fine a couple of hours later. Hopefully it's one of those things (and not one of those things that happened a couple of years ago).

Too bad for my kids. I'll be handing off my dad's cancer genes that killed him and my mom's depression genes that make living less fun.

Actually, that sounded really really bad. It's a pretty good combination for me actually. Both my mom and dad gave me a very sweet goodness. Besides that, I think my dad gave me a wonderful sense of sideways moral logic and Mom gave me an exciting compassionate sideways mentality. No matter what happens -- I think my mind is way funner than everyone else's. I whine all the time about how I feel, but I admit -- my mind is an awesome playground.

Thanks folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment