Sunday, September 18, 2011

things go right too often

I only caught the last half hour of the Emmys.

When Downton Abbey won the award for best mini-series, Julian Fellowes remarked in his speech, "We don't know why sometimes things go right; but tonight, they've gone right." Hopefully I typed it accurately enough to justify putting it in quotes.

He said this in the context that his joy at being in that position was a result of struggle, suffering and doubt up to that point. Things going right didn't seem natural, but ultimately that's what happened -- even after everything else going wrong.

I sat there watching, thinking about how everything goes right most of the time, but that doesn't mean I'm ultimately where I want to be now. Even worse, I haven't paid for it.

I've always had it too easy. Now I'm not at the Emmys.

1 comment:

  1. I swear I have said that last sentence at least ten different times in the past. Poor me huh?

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete